Object Record
Images
Metadata
Catalog Number |
2021.023.116 |
Title |
Blue UL Light T-shirt |
Caption |
Blue UL Light Tshirt |
Description |
A royal blue, child's large T-shirt with "ULL" printed on the front. The letters are bubble letters with trees, butterflies, turtles, frogs, etc inside. The name "A McKee" is found on the second "L". UL Light School: In 1951, the school district bought 12 acres of what had been OC Barber’s Anna Dean farm. The land cost just over $11,000 and was to hold a new junior high school for the east side of town. Bernard Construction was awarded the general contract to build the new school for $641,350. UL Light Junior High School opened at 292 Robinson Avenue in 1953. Because the building was not ready for fall of 1952, the students attended classes in temporary buildings: the 7th grade classes were held at Lincoln, Washington, and Oakdale, while the 8th and 9th grade classes were held at the high school. It was named after former school superintendent Uriah L. Light who was the superintendent for 31 years, from 1913-1944. In 1984, UL Light transitioned from a junior high to a middle school. It closed in 2011 when the new middle school opened across the street from the high school at 4th Street and Norton. UL Light was extensively rehabbed and converted into the new Barberton Elementary East. |
Object Name |
T-Shirt |
Accession number |
2021.023 |
People |
Hornacek, Lawrence Light, U.L. |
Search Terms |
Barberton Barberton City School District Barberton Public Schools U.L. Light Middle School |
Subjects |
Children Children's clothing & dress Clothing & dress Elementary school students Elementary schools School children Schoolchildren Schools Students |
